15 December 2013

Advent 2013 Week 3: LOVE

I love to feel loved. That longing is part of who we are as humans. That sense of belonging, of being understood, known and accepted.

I Corinthians 13 is the classic go-to in Christian circles for finding God's definition of love.  This chapter does not focus on me receiving love. On the contrary, it is about the love I give others. I chuckle at the first verse regarding language-learning without any love for others as pure noise. My German sounds like a lot of noisy gongs and clanging cymbals most days! But as I read through those first few verses, I find a pretty good list of what love is NOT:
  • accomplishment - even of spiritual acts
  • knowledge - even of spiritual truths
  • works - even from great faith
  • giving - even of my own body
The key in loving others must be something other than just these acts alone. Perhaps even something smaller. Read on in verses 4-7.
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, it is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
I cannot show this kind of love without the resource of God's spirit in my life. When I grasp His love for me, I can pass that along to others without such a need for reciprocation or validation. I belong to God. I am understood, known and accepted by Him. Christmas is the perfect time to reflect on His great love for us, and in turn, how we can more beautifully and humbly show love to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment